GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

PE Post is up

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:50 pm

I just posted some show info on progressiveears.com
Keep an eye on this thread, and help it out when possible :)
Steve
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:33 am

I've posted, c'mon Elric and Robjob-you need to spread the word!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:20 am

Dude, calm down...... I am there and done that. I plan on doing all I can to spread the word.

I am just excited about this as you are Yeshead, but I think before the show date gets here, you may need to cut back on the caffiene before you spontaneously combust :wink:

BTW Steve, as I have listened more to the LAB DVD, I think your vocals were great. Do you find it easy singing while playing bass? You are surrounded by a string section, drum set, guitar and keyboards. How is hearing during that time?
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Elric wrote:Dude, calm down...... I am there and done that. I plan on doing all I can to spread the word.

I am just excited about this as you are Yeshead, but I think before the show date gets here, you may need to cut back on the caffiene before you spontaneously combust :wink:

BTW Steve, as I have listened more to the LAB DVD, I think your vocals were great. Do you find it easy singing while playing bass? You are surrounded by a string section, drum set, guitar and keyboards. How is hearing during that time?
So you're telling me to calm down, and you're sucking up to Steve.I guess you're practicing for you're new job. you can count on me to bring you back to earth!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Don't make me stop this forum and turn around!
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:32 am

Lol,

Don't make me get a sackful of oranges. I really have heard it is tough to keep time and concentration in a show when you are surrounded by other sounds.

Also,

Is there any advertising we should be seeing, i.e., billboards around town or news spots?
Brent

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:26 am

Thanks! Its never been hard for me to sing and play at the same time. Its always been hard to sing well though, whether I'm playing or not. I'm certainly the least talented of the lot with vocals.
But stage sounds are pretty terrible for a band that isn't used to setting up and playing every night. The monitor mix at NEARfest was the worst in my 25 year history. Belmont was alot better, but still not great. We're going to really tweak the sound at the Tivoli. The acoustics are great, our engineer has worked the room, and we're bringing in our own system for sound and monitors. GH MUST have good monitors or we have no idea what we're doing.
8)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Well, it's getting ugly again on PE-what a shock! and I once again have probably lost my temper a little with the newest idiot who knows everything about guitar solos and guitars in general. Why can't we just all get along in Progland?

Prog Music's Frank
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prog Music's Frank » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 pm

I think someone might point out that he was playing material he hadn't worked on for more than a handful of practices and that he had no part in arranging. That guy might want to wait and see what happens on this next album...
[img]http://static.flickr.com/1/652239_be4b7aa3e3_m.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:39 am

Those will only be excuses to him-obviously He could do much better-I'm just curious why we haven't heard of this guy yet if He's so good!

Shadoshi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Shadoshi » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:11 am

yeshead 777 wrote:Those will only be excuses to him-obviously He could do much better-I'm just curious why we haven't heard of this guy yet if He's so good!
Funny you say that. Why hadn't we heard of Matt Mendians until we did if he was so good? (And he is ;)) (Erm....... Did that make any sense?)

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:45 am

People that don't like GH(or any group for that matter), will find every reason to dislike every new player, or direction, the group is taking. It is odd that they don't give Matt a harder time-as GOOD as he is-say He sounds too much like Mike Portnoy or does too many fills, or whatever.

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:31 am

I think there are ppl out there that just love to throw stones to get ppl's blood pressure up. Overall response is more positive than negative. You just have one or two that like to irritate fans. Obviously these ppl are hard-line critics.

I have bought and listened to music based on the advice of others on PE's post. After listening to it a few times, I might say,"ho-hum. It is good music, but not something I am crazy about". It does not mean I am gonna be negative about it and say something to discredit them on the boards. These ppl are just wanna-be greats that try to make themselves feel superior by stepping on others.

I have said before that I do not like to compare musicians in ability to others. Almost every great musician however has been inspired by others. I do not think that anyone that listens to this band could honestly say that they do not dedicate themselves to it or are just mediocre. This band has evolved and you can see each member adding something positive to the sound(I can hardly wait for the new release).

BTW Yeshead, your avatar is bugging me.....I think you are starting to resemble him more and more. :lol: Change yours, and I will change mine :twisted:
Brent

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:49 am

Many complained that our vocals were to 'accesable'. We got Brad Marler for Chronometree and have never heard the end of it. :?

Let the girls sing more because the guys all suck (some said). So we did. They hated that. :x

Quit doing crap about hobbits and elves (many shrieked). Best selling and fastest selling albums - Journey and Middle-earth. :P

Not enough guitar some said - so we add Shreddy. Guess what? :roll:

We stopped caring a long time ago. We just add who we want and play what we want and write about what we want, etc.

I can promise you the most phenominal album of GH you've ever heard is coming next (and some will complain about this statement, but if we didn't think we got better every time - we'd quit pretty quickly).

The material is solid, and the guitar work will be like nothing you've heard from GH before. The drums sound awesome (thanks not only to Matt, but to Fred's tireless efforts and mixing them). Regardless, this could be the album of the century and about 15% of PE will take a big ole poop all over it for one reason or another.

Some do so because they honestly just don't like GH. The rest do so for another reason all-together. I'll not elaborte, but it should be pretty obvious when you get to know who they are.

But don't worry, we've never had one album returned in the history of GH. (okay, maybe one). PE doesn't hurt us, its just irritating some times! :lol:
That's my rant for the day.
More great GH is coming :)
Steve

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:24 am

Well with that said, I am glad you do not care a lot about the critics and continue to make great music.

Many bands have been blasted for some of their music that just baffles me. I love Tormato and Tales from Topographic Oceans by the band YES, but many say those albums stink. Although they have had their ups and downs, they are >35years making music. I fear that we may not hear much more in the future from them, but their influence and spurred many new bands.

I think your current line up has a lot going for you. You should be proud of your music. I always wanted to be a great musician and never applied myself like I should have. I kick myself in tail every now and then about it, but I am so glad there are bands that are out there that I can appreciate for their hard work and dedication.

One final thing.....I got to hand it to YESHEAD for responding a lot to these critics. Most of what I say to him about them about what I want to post is not worth repeating....
Brent