Another dumb question.

GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Another dumb question.

Post by Joe-× » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Is the amplification going to be so loud that hearing protection is required? I'm bringing mine in case anyway, but I'm just curious about how loud the band plays.

Thanks.

Joe

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:30 pm

That's been on our minds as well, actually! It's our plan that the sound be reasonable to a varied sort of audience. We've got a good relationship with the soundman and he's in total agreement that we don't want to run people out of the room or have it be annoyingly loud or bright. I don't know how it was out front at Belmont but he wasn't at all happy with the sound he got in that room- here he's on home turf with his own system. Ironically, it's onstage where things get bad- there are certain realities that we just have to deal with up there- but out front we expect it to be moderately and enveloping loud but nothing the old folks can't deal with (including us) :D :D
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:29 pm

I thought the sound at Belmont was pretty decent.

Why, oh WHY do 90% of concerts have the sound SO HIGH?

I mean seriously: you could probably turn the sounds down 20+ decibels, and NO ONE WOULD NOTICE!

And its amazing how much better the mix becomes without the lead vocals clipping all the time, or all the feedback you get becuase of it...

Better mix + less feedback + no one notices its 'not as loud' = good sound to me...
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

johnc
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by johnc » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:44 pm

The old saw "if it's too loud, you're too old" jumps to mind. And gets blown away with logic and experience--ask Peter Townshend if he'd like some of his hearing back. At gen-adm venues, I plant myself as close to the mixing desk as I can--if the mix is good enough for an experienced sound tech, it's good enough for me. I plan to pack earplugs anyway; they tend to attenuate high end more than low end, so it's not as shrill.
Quikrete - the biggest name in concrete since Jimmy Hoffa.

Bozo
Professional
Professional

Post by Bozo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:00 am

Well as long the sound is better as it was last week as I went a Porcupine Tree and Paatos concert. By Paatos the guitar was ro loud, you couldn´t hear the keys and the bass was terrible. Porcupine Tree got it better after two songs but I think bands at this lebvel should get it good from the start.
The world is smaller than you think!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:50 am

This show is gonna sound incredible-1)The Tivoli's accousitcs are the best! 2)The band will be rehearsing all day Monday and will get it JUST right!3)The matinee show will sound great 4)The evening show will sound perfect!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:49 am

johnc wrote:The old saw "if it's too loud, you're too old" jumps to mind. And gets blown away with logic and experience--ask Peter Townshend if he'd like some of his hearing back. At gen-adm venues, I plant myself as close to the mixing desk as I can--if the mix is good enough for an experienced sound tech, it's good enough for me. I plan to pack earplugs anyway; they tend to attenuate high end more than low end, so it's not as shrill.
I can't stand a loud / shrill mix. I like it to sound as if it is loud, but then you turn to the person sitting next to you and find that you can speak in a normal voice. You might say something like, "Man, that bassist is awesome". And your neighbor might reply - "Well, what do you expect from Steve Babb." Ya know what I mean? And you wouldn't have to yell that out to be heard.
:oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Nah, but you'd probably be so excited you'd yell it out anyway. And everyone would cheer in response. ;)
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]