Words cannot describe

GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Rjamesvln wrote:
Thanks again. I never Imagined that I'd get a chance to play music like this and perform with people like you. You all rock!
*lol* Actually, at this point you guys are now officially the rockingest string section since Electric Light Orchestra in the 70's- and really more so because you guys can actually play and they sort of sucked :P :D

(All the great strings on the ELO albums were session players)
Last edited by FredProgGH on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rjamesvln

Re: Words cannot describe

Post by Rjamesvln » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
yeshead 777 wrote:Words cannot describe the experience
I liked the Bach fugue melding into the opening of KotN.
Thank you! I believe that was Susan's idea. She's brilliant. Fred asked us to come up with some sort of intro to kotn and Susan came through for us. I loved doing that and was amazed that it worked out so well. I'm so blessed to work with creative, imaginitive, and smart folks.

Rjamesvln

Re: Rebecca ans Susan

Post by Rjamesvln » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:19 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:Almost forgot to mention how cool it was to see Susan and Rebecca standing up playing their viola and vilons throughout the show-esp. Rebecca-You ROCK girl!!!You're a bonafide ROCKER now! You esp. ROCKED on SSOTS!The whole Trio adds so much, and it was a treat to watch you gals rehearse-esp. on oppostie instruments!Cool!
lol- Wow! Thanks so much. We totally loosened up this show and had a blast. It just takes us staunch classical musicians a show or two to learn how to rock. Thanks to Steve and Fred for believing we had it in us. :-)

Rjamesvln

Post by Rjamesvln » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:32 pm

Joe-× wrote: Again, the little things here made the show better - seeing Rebecca on her feet and rocking out was a joy. I don't know if was all the teasing she got from the Belmont DVD or if motherhood has relaxed her some. She was having fun.
Ha! Thank you!!! I was most definitely having fun. I don't think that it is motherhood- I was a mother before Belmont. I think that most of it was getting to stand up! We almost always have to sit for classical concerts and actually for most of our other gigs in general. All of my teachers have always told me that I must stand up to practice because you play better, have better technique, and better posture etc etc. I never understood why we always have to sit for everything. I guess that's just the way it is, but standing for this show made all the difference for me (and I think for Susan too!).

I love this music more the more I play it and that helps too.

Oh- and no one teased me about Belmont (should they have? :oops: ). I did, of course, watch the DVD a lot and thought to myself "Geeze, smile a little next time kid!" Cause I did have a ton of fun at Belmont but didn't smile!

I think I was counting too hard (though counting has it's benefits as well...)

Oh- I guess the slideshow on the bonus DVD could count as a little "teasing." Though I didn't really think of it that way. haha- I almost forgot. But it was such an honor to be there that the "teasing" didn't phase me at all.

I also think that at both Belmont and at this show Steve and Fred and really the whole rest of the band inspired me (and the trio) to really enjoy ourselves and realize that we can rock too! Steve and Fred are always inspiring and encouraging to us.

Thanks again- it's so overwhelming to read all this and see that you all really loved the show. It is always nice to hear. :D

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 pm

[quote="Rjamesvln"][quote="Joe-×"]

I also think that at both Belmont and at this show Steve and Fred and really the whole rest of the band inspired me (and the trio) to really enjoy ourselves and realize that we can rock too! Steve and Fred are always inspiring and encouraging to us.-End Quote

They do that not only thru their music, but just when you hang around them. Just cool, real, laid back guys-not your typical rock stars or "artisit" types-great guys and friends.The atmosphere behind stage and behind the scenes the whole two days was like that-only very few times of minor stress-otherwise a very smooth, peaceful, FUN esperience! I will never forget it-and seriously, I don't think I'll ever be around that much talent in one place again in my life. It was a joy and a privilege for this fanboy!
Last edited by yeshead 777 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Elric
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elric » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:44 am

That was a great post Joe-x. I am so glad you got to come and see this show. It was simply incredible.

My whole family came to this show and loved it as well.

As far as the Adonia String Trio goes, you ladies ROCKED! There was so much power in your performance!

When SSoTS played and the choir started dancing wildly, all I could think about was the Yes Symphonic DVD that had all the guest band members out there dancing to Roundabout. It was all great fun and I look forward to this again!
Brent

Be kind to my mistakes, because I am not.....Kate Bush

tug

like those breakfast gourds in Perelandra

Post by tug » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:13 am

...that is to say, it was a wonderful, satisfying, sharply delicious experience, and to ask for it repeated too soon would somehow be committing gluttony. Not that I didn't want it to keep going on for hours longer!

Thanks for an excellent show, guys and gals. I enjoyed the Belmont concert; I worshipped God at this one. (BTW I was thrilled with "Lirazel.")

AND, joy of joys, the concert featured not one, not two, but three of my favorite pieces of music of all time, *besides* the GH stuff proper! The Bach cm fugue has been central to my soul since Rich Mullins stuck it on the beginning of "Sing Your Praise to the Lord," marrying it there to electric guitars (which should always be involved), and became a huge motivation to me in my piano career. "Beati Quorum Via" was one of the first things I sang in college chorale, and the Lee singers performed it so beautifully I ached inside.

But it was "Longer" that really pushed me over the edge. I believe it is the best simple love song in the universe, outside of some sections of the Bible, and when your cellist (one of my closest friends) first loaned me a copy of Shadowlands (my maiden voyage into prog rock), I cringed with horror at what you'd done to it. Over a few months, I came to appreciate and enjoy your version. But at last night's concert - both styles came together in a fusion that left me with a foolish grin on my face for a couple of hours. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:42 am

What an awesome post Tug. I always Hated the Fogelberg original, but loved what GH did with it on Shadowlands. At these shows they perfectly and seemlessly married the two together. Carl really shone on the original with nice accoustic, and pefect voice, and made me love even this version! I can't wait for the CD version of this show-it will be INCREDIBLE!!!!!I just hope we get the whole 95-100 minutes-please don't cut anything guys!There was not a weak song(or even a weak moment) in both sets IMO!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Rjamesvln

Post by Rjamesvln » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm

FredProgGH wrote:
Rjamesvln wrote:
Thanks again. I never Imagined that I'd get a chance to play music like this and perform with people like you. You all rock!
*lol* Actually, at this point you guys are now officially the rockingest string section since Electric Light Orchestra in the 70's- and really more so because you guys can actually play and they sort of sucked :P :D

(All the great strings on the ELO albums were session players)
Well seeing as how I've never heard of ELO I'll have to trust you on that one and just say thank you! ;-)
You write all of the rockingest music for us so it's not that hard. :-)

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:53 pm

You must have heard ELO, you probably just don't know it. They were too ubiquitous on FM radio for too long. I bet if I played you some you'd go "Oh, THAT!!" *lol*
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Re: like those breakfast gourds in Perelandra

Post by esteban » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:55 pm

tug wrote:Thanks for an excellent show, guys and gals. I enjoyed the Belmont concert; I worshipped God at this one.
Belmont was the first time I heard "Heroes and Dragons"; this show was the first time I *understood* it. Very nice reading of it Carl. Between that piece and "Having Caught A Glimpse" we did indeed find a center for worship.

Also on my second trip down to C-town this week (racking up the miles) I had "At the Court of Alkinoos" going, and finally got the line about "my ruse of war, my Trojan Horse" toward the end. Duh.
tug wrote: "Beati Quorum Via" was one of the first things I sang in college chorale
Thanks, tug, I was going to ask what the name of that piece was. Now you must tell me the composer so I can check our music library for it, if you'd be so kind :wink:
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Joe-× wrote:. Years after the fact when I finally got around to reading Lewis' The Weight of Glory, I found a section that seemed to describe what I was feeling at that time. I've got this page earmarked now, so it's easy to find:

"The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things - the beauty, the memory of our own past - are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only ... the echo of a tune we have not heard..."
Astounding! Thanks for sharing that Joe!!! Means a lot to me and GH to know people whose lives have been changed becuase of their gifts.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Rjamesvln wrote:
FredProgGH wrote:
Rjamesvln wrote:
Whats so cool is how the TRIO have become such an integral part of the group and not just a side act. To be able to hear them rehearse and perform so intimately -I may have to agree with a statement Fred made one time about Rebecca being the most talented player in the entire group. But even that is impossible-esp. in a show(actually 2 shows) where everyone was SPOT ON!!!!

Joe-×
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Joe-× » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:19 pm

esteban wrote:
tug wrote: "Beati Quorum Via" was one of the first things I sang in college chorale
Thanks, tug, I was going to ask what the name of that piece was. Now you must tell me the composer so I can check our music library for it, if you'd be so kind :wink:
It's Charles Villiers Stanford, the famous teacher of Holst and Vaughn Williams. It's basically the first verse (first letter) of Psalm 119. You may find it catalogued as Op. 38 no 3. The other two of the Latin motets are also very nice. I enjoyed the Lee Choral Union's performance of it.

tug

Post by tug » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:17 am

Joe-× wrote:It's Charles Villiers Stanford, the famous teacher of Holst and Vaughn Williams. It's basically the first verse (first letter) of Psalm 119. You may find it catalogued as Op. 38 no 3. The other two of the Latin motets are also very nice. I enjoyed the Lee Choral Union's performance of it.
Thanks - I was just about to go look it up, since I only remembered the "Stanford" name.