GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Show Opener

Post by esteban » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:45 am

Hey folks!

I keep forgetting to ask about the show opener (matinee). That was a fine bit of playing, and when Steve launched into the opening of "Lisette" I was actually a bit disappointed! Not that Lisette was next - may it never be! - but that the opening bit was ending.

Walk-on jam?
Field-testing a work-in-progress?
Or just something I didn't recognize?

It's good. KEEP IT UP!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Show Opener

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:08 pm

esteban wrote:Hey folks!

I keep forgetting to ask about the show opener (matinee). That was a fine bit of playing, and when Steve launched into the opening of "Lisette" I was actually a bit disappointed! Not that Lisette was next - may it never be! - but that the opening bit was ending.

Walk-on jam?
Field-testing a work-in-progress?
Or just something I didn't recognize?

It's good. KEEP IT UP!
That's opener is called "untitled opening track" currently. Its nearly the same on the current album project - it just ends and goes into another completely different track. It'll probably open the new album. Maybe your post is a hint thought - that we should extend it into a bigger song. I'd hate for our album to have 3 minutes of opening excitement followed by dissapointment at what comes next! :oops:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

esteban
Amateur
Amateur

Post by esteban » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:22 pm

LOL! Now, now, what happened next was my favorite tune off Shadowlands so don't make more of it than it was! I just enjoyed your "untitled opening track" and wanted to hear more.

I remember when I saw Crimson in Cincy, before The Power to Believe was released, they opened with the then-unreleased "Dangerous Curves" which is this spine-tingling piece, constantly building in intensity along the lines of Ravel's Bolero. And it just quit. On the album they added a smashing climax to it, which was great.

Run with your instincts, though, not my geeky sensibilities!
Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum habitare fratres in unum.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:32 pm

gah! :roll: I miss covers, new music, and GH. work blows.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:42 pm

I share your sentiment, Brian. Syntax and Physics are of the Devil. But I think we knew that.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Bnielsen wrote:gah! :roll: I miss covers, new music, and GH. work blows.
Then I won't go on and on about how SSOTS totally rocked! How Steve, susie, and Carl lined up in the middle of the stage,back to the audience, and Susie turned around and started the lead vocal after Matt's thundering opening. Oh yea-and it all started off with the door slam and footsteps intro(or outro from We Have Heaven actually). It TOTALLY STUNNED ME! and still does when I think about it! Okay-enough rubbing in!Sorry,David.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:25 pm

I will point out also that the footstep-wind intro was not taken from the original song- I actually redid all of that.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

Rjamesvln

Post by Rjamesvln » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:23 pm

yeshead 777 wrote:
Bnielsen wrote:gah! :roll: I miss covers, new music, and GH. work blows.
Then I won't go on and on about how SSOTS totally rocked! How Steve, susie, and Carl lined up in the middle of the stage,back to the audience, and Susie turned around and started the lead vocal after Matt's thundering opening. Oh yea-and it all started off with the door slam and footsteps intro(or outro from We Have Heaven actually). It TOTALLY STUNNED ME! and still does when I think about it! Okay-enough rubbing in!Sorry,David.
I loved how Steve, Susie, and Carl did that! It was so rocking awesome. It was one of my favorite moments in the show.

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by yeshead 777 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:18 am

FredProgGH wrote:I will point out also that the footstep-wind intro was not taken from the original song- I actually redid all of that.
I thought it was a little different, but all of the YES purists I've talked to that were there loved the whole thing!Esp. the middle section-keyboard and vocal, and Susie doing lead!!!That was a BOLD and very wise move. We joked with her after the show about what her follow up to that was going to be? perhaps "Heart of the Sunrise"?But we were'nt really joking-She ROCKED!!!!!
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:32 am

geez.......

when i first heard the footsteps, i mistook them for roger water's in cymbaline

stupid me!

as to "untitled opening track".......well it's always a thrill to hear something completely new....it was on a parellel to elp opening with crossing the rubicon on their final tour

everything was just great at both shows.....and i'm proud i was part of a "quality crowd"

can't wait for the dvd!

butch.......from chicago

Sam Gamgee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sam Gamgee » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:58 am

Heyyy, Chicago!! Sweet! High fives.

Well, I'm thrilled that you guys played SSOTS - that means I get to hear it, at least (and Venividi called me during the matinee to play it through the cell phone... Daaaaaang it sounded awesome. (though my cell phone didn't pick up on it that well)) But I would be less dissapointed about not being there if SSOTS and everything but the first three tracks on Fragile hadn't mysteriously disappeared from my iTunes library. :cry:

...At least I still have And You and I, Awaken, and Gates of Delirium.
[color=#ff6600][i]Workings of man crying out from the fires set aflame
By his blindness to see that the warmth of his being
Is promised for his seeing, his reaching so clearly[/i][/color]

[url]http://www.ghfan.net[/url]