Breathless!

GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

Venividi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Breathless!

Post by Venividi » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:52 pm

OK, I know this is very late, but being the month-aversary of the Tivoli shows I figure (or should I say "I reckon"?) that its still OK to post my reaction to the shows.

You may call me a biased observer because I have had the privilege of helping out with some of GH's choir parts over the years. Rather than biased, I prefer to think of it as being a more informed observer, after having immersed my self in the music deep enough to add choir scores.

I had seen GH live twice before, at NEARFest 2003 and at Belmont. Both shows blew me away. The overall musical effect of both shows was better than the albums. I was moved to tears at both shows.

The Tivoli shows left me breathless. I mean that at the end of KOTN and HCAG I was so overwhelmed that I literally could not breathe! Or perhaps a better way of saying it is that I could not bear to disturb the elation of such a timeless moment by breathing. I don't know what else I could say about the shows. I don't know how a musical event could top this (but I wouldn't be surprised if GH finds a way to do it even better).

The performances were masterful, and the sound quality was excellent. After the show, I was attempting to congratulate Bret, the sound engineer on his excellent work. He interrupted me and said, "I know, you couldn’t hear the choir, right?" I told him that, to the contrary I could hear everything! I can't wait to hear these recordings.

My son Peter (10 years old) and I also had the privilege of visiting the studio and a GH practice prior to the show (perhaps some bootleg video of this will appear on ghfan.net?). The entire band welcomed us warmly and treated us like family. Peter was even dubbed Jon-Michael Babb's best freind for the day!

It was very insightful to see this place where all of the magic happens. I would like to make note of 2 things in particular.

First, there were beautiful things (art, pottery, etc.) everywhere you looked. Even in some of the places where the surroundings were not exactly posh.

Second, it was clear that with GH, its "all about the music". They are not wasting their resources on excessive lining of their pockets, or superfluous expenditures (like cases for their instruments), they are putting it all into producing great music. I read in a book a while ago that art requires sacrifice, and that great art requires great sacrifice. After seeing where and how their art is made I appreciate the greatness of the efforts, sacrifice and their art even more.

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:01 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

I still hate that I couldn't make it there.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

SuperTed
Die Hard
Die Hard

Post by SuperTed » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Yeah, but did you like the show?

I mean, REALLY like it?

:twisted:

Sounds like a cracking gig - roll on the DVD, eh? :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/centurionad1/ghbanner.jpg[/img]

yeshead 777
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Re: Breathless!

Post by yeshead 777 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:19 pm

venividi wrote:It was very insightful to see this place where all of the magic happens. I would like to make note of 2 things in particular.

First, there were beautiful things (art, pottery, etc.) everywhere you looked. Even in some of the places where the surroundings were not exactly posh.

Second, it was clear that with GH, its "all about the music". They are not wasting their resources on excessive lining of their pockets, or superfluous expenditures (like cases for their instruments), they are putting it all into producing great music. I read in a book a while ago that art requires sacrifice, and that great art requires great sacrifice. After seeing where and how their art is made I appreciate the greatness of the efforts, sacrifice and their art even more.
I agree completely after having the privilege of visiting their humble studio recently myself. It didn't really hit me until I read you're remarks, how much MAGICAL music has come out of that small hidden place. It(GH)is and always was about the music-that's why those that love and apprecciate their music do so with all of our hearts. I also saw first hand the SACRIFICE they as individuals, and as a whole group, put into those two days, not to mention-the MONTHS of rehearsals prior to the show!They are truly a rarity in all of musicdom.
Art can "make people feel what's true rather than telling them".[Dan Haseltine,Jars of Clay].

Aswepe

Post by Aswepe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 am

I absolutely have to agree with your assessment regarding Breathless!

I had the same experience after watching the Live At Bellmont DVD. KOTN & HCAG are indeed awe-inspiring on TIS, but live, the band takes those songs to another level. I would love to see GH in person. Maybe someday I will.

Possibly some of the best music ever written in the Prog genre.
David