Quality of Video on Tivoli

GH's show from October 2006

Moderators: MayorOfLongview, FredProgGH, Sam Gamgee, Bnielsen

widowspeak
Amateur
Amateur

Quality of Video on Tivoli

Post by widowspeak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 am

Obviously this is a top notch concert by GH. They are on top of their game. I'd like to see a discussion about the quality of the video itself.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Hehe- it's a miracle the video exists at all... (he said enigmatically)

:P

(The following was apparently added to my post by Steve as opposed to appearing in a post of its own...)

Problem 1: Local camera crews do not know our music nor would they take the time to learn. We had a good friend call the camera shots at Belmont, but not so at the Tivoli. We had less cameras than at Belmont. But many shots (most) were of the wrong people at the wrong time. Every single usable frame of video was pieced together to get what you see.

2: I edited the video 2 years ago, but we kept the audio on hold for 2 years.
3. I stored the mostly finished video in a 3tb drive.
4. 2 years go by and we begin mixing the audio.
5. The 3tb drive crashes as does my other hard-drive with the video - all within a week.
6. We ripped a copy of the mostly edited DVD and some quality was lost. Not much though. It was that or nothing.
7. Good news - the audio is so good (In our opinion), we were happy with the end result.
Its called DYI :)

Steve
Last edited by FredProgGH on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The baloney is yodeling" -- [i]Jon Arbuckle[/i]

widowspeak
Amateur
Amateur

Post by widowspeak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:36 pm

It seemed like a camera issue. It's a shame you guys had all those problems. It's great to have the DVD anyway. SSOTS is about the best cover version of a song I've heard. Susie belted it out like a pro and the band is on fire throughout.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:59 pm

It actually did look very good in its raw form. Like Steve said, the final blow was the drive crash- what you are seeing was re-ripped from a compressed AVI we had made simply to use as a rough cut.
Here's the other nightmare- we had sync issues with many of the tracks. There are some shots that still don't *quite* line up.

The good news is at the end of the day it probably doesn't much different than Belmont. The bad news is that we had hoped that it would... but yeah, for us the sound is the thing.

Maybe the next one will be full-on HD. In another 3 or 4 years. :P :P 8)

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 pm

FredProgGH wrote:It actually did look very good in its raw form. Like Steve said, the final blow was the drive crash- what you are seeing was re-ripped from a compressed AVI we had made simply to use as a rough cut.
Here's the other nightmare- we had sync issues with many of the tracks. There are some shots that still don't *quite* line up.

Maybe the next one will be full-on HD. In another 3 or 4 years. :P :P 8)
Yes indeed. No further videos without HD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Bnielsen
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by Bnielsen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 pm

ahh... I really didn't want to say anything for fear of being negative- but I was wondering about the odd compression

This all makes sense now.

Certain shots seem to be more sensative to it, but even a big budget DVD of a concert will have some image issues, so no worries!

Kansas' DVD "Device Voice Drum" was actually shot on film, and definately had grainy issues when the shots were too dark.
Brian Nielsen
GH Merch '09 - GH Roadie '05 - GH NEARFest Choir '03

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Quality of Video on Tivoli

Post by Physicist » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:58 pm

widowspeak wrote:Obviously this is a top notch concert by GH. They are on top of their game. I'd like to see a discussion about the quality of the video itself.
The Dutch Progressive Rock Page has just posted their review of Live at the Tivoli.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200904.php

Bottom line: brilliant performance, lousy video. They give it 7+ out of 10.
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

MayorOfLongview
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by MayorOfLongview » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:15 am

Physicist wrote:
widowspeak wrote:Obviously this is a top notch concert by GH. They are on top of their game. I'd like to see a discussion about the quality of the video itself.
The Dutch Progressive Rock Page has just posted their review of Live at the Tivoli.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200904.php

Bottom line: brilliant performance, lousy video. They give it 7+ out of 10.
I think they dug the sound as well. And no doubt, should we ever do a dvd again - the camera crew will be upgraded :)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Physicist
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Physicist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:47 pm

MayorOfLongview wrote:I think they dug the sound as well.
I think 'dazzling' was the word they used. All in all, a great DVD, despite the problems with the video. Between the 5.1 and the performance, I was quite a happy customer (as were the two others that got the DVD from me for Christmas)
"If I hadn't believed it, I wouldn't have seen it." -- Old Geologist's saw

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Speaking of audio... any chance of releasing it in iTunes form? It'd be a great idea! Huh? Huh? Amirite? Guys?.............. Guys?...............................
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

aswas

Post by aswas » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Again, I know this is way late, but I just started posting in the forum. Live at the Trivoli is a great DVD. The Sound was awesome, which is the most important thing on the DVD. I understand there were problems with the camera crew and the computer crashing, but it turned out above average(the video) Spocks Beard would have loved to have any of their DVDs to come out close to this. (One of my fave prog bands.) Dave continued his great guitar playing, It was cool to see Carl(who sings so well) playing Steve's old Analog Synthesizer in a couple of songs. Susie was awesome. The three women continue to be unbelievable on the violins etc. Everyone was having a blast. Steve was the bomb, and so was Fred. Matt has made his nitche.Thanks for allowing me to share. I love GH and wherever or whenever I have the opportunity I will share it
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

Japes
Semi-Pro
Semi-Pro

Post by Japes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:48 pm

aswas wrote:Again, I know this is way late, but I just started posting in the forum. Live at the Trivoli is a great DVD. The Sound was awesome, which is the most important thing on the DVD. I understand there were problems with the camera crew and the computer crashing, but it turned out above average(the video) Spocks Beard would have loved to have any of their DVDs to come out close to this. (One of my fave prog bands.) Dave continued his great guitar playing, It was cool to see Carl(who sings so well) playing Steve's old Analog Synthesizer in a couple of songs. Susie was awesome. The three women continue to be unbelievable on the violins etc. Everyone was having a blast. Steve was the bomb, and so was Fred. Matt has made his nitche.Thanks for allowing me to share. I love GH and wherever or whenever I have the opportunity I will share it
I didnt know that was his synth. That's pretty cool! Oh, and I'd like to dust off the previous question I asked. Any chance of the audio of this being released on iTunes, like Lex Live was?
Luke 6:27-31
27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:01 pm

That was actually Carl's own synth, and it's a fairly rare one these days: it's a Korg Mono/Poly (monopoly, get it??), so called because it acts a a four oscillator mono lead synth or a four voice poly synth. If memory serves, anyway.

aswas

Post by aswas » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

wow, sorry! Doesn't Steve have one like that? I think he used it on the Nearfest DVD? Looked just like it.
seasons will pass you by..I get up..I get down

FredProgGH
Hammerhead
Hammerhead

Post by FredProgGH » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 am

Steve's is a Yamaha CS-5. It's a little smaller than the Korg. They do look rather similar at a glance though.